MARRIAGE – WHAT IS THE BEST AGE TO SAY “I DO”?
More and more couples are waiting longer to enter marriage these days rather than opt to walk down the aisle in late adolescence or early twenties as was the norm in earlier generations.
Recent research by Nicholas Wolfinger (University of Utah) indicates that the ideal age range to ensure a successful marriage is between 28 and 32 years.
According to Wolfinger “The odds of divorce decline as you age from your teenage years through your late twenties and early thirties.” He also believes that “thereafter, the chances of divorce go up again as you move into your late thirties and early forties.”
To me it makes some sense that an older couple embarking on the journey of marriage are more likely to succeed long term. However, there are always two sides to every story and I’ll give 10 points here for and against. I’d love to hear your comments at the end of this post!
MARRIAGE: ADVANTAGES OF WAITING UNTIL LATE TWENTIES, EARLY THIRTIES
- There has been time to “grow up” and forge a solid identity.
- In knowing who you are, it is easier to identify a potential partner who will support and encourage your life goals and vice versa.
- There has been time to complete studies or career training without other commitments and responsibilities.
- Careers take energy and commitment to establish – easier to do without competition from spouse and/or children.
- There has been time to “play the field”, experimenting with different relationships.
- Experiencing relationships with a variety of partners makes it less likely to feel trapped or wondering if the right choice has been made.
- If travel is important, then marrying later allows time to explore wider horizons, foot loose and fancy free.
- Greater financial resources are available.
- There is more likelihood of entering marriage with eyes wide open.
- After experiencing life living independently, you are more likely to enter marriage with a preference for sharing your life with a loving partner, rather than through fear of being alone.
MARRIAGE – ADVANTAGES OF MARRYING YOUNG
- Less chance of being let down by multiple partners resulting in wounds carried into future relationships.
- Less jealousy and insecurities about your partner’s romantic history.
- An opportunity to grow up together.
- There is a larger market of eligible potential partners around the younger you are.
- Time to enjoy traveling together, sharing resources before children arrive.
- Having a loving partner to support while study is completed and careers are established.
- For a woman falling pregnant becomes more difficult with age. So early marriage provides the opportunity to take advantage of the most fertile years.
- There is time to enjoy married life together before feeling the pressure of starting a family.
- Young couples are more likely to be more adaptable to each other rather than being set in their ways.
- Entering marriage at an earlier age is perfect for enjoying safe and regular sexual intimacy when your libido is at it’s peak.
So, what do you think? Is the research valid? I would love to hear your comments and experience related to this topic. And please share!Christine Bennett